Friday 29 November 2013

BOOK BINDING: PRIMARY RESEARCH

In my studio development time myself and few other students went to a book binding induction and were taught a few potential processes to use when creating our books. I documented my work photographically with some additional notes that were explained by the inductor.


Pamphlet Stich










Notes:

The thicker the stock the less pages.
Keep pages a good few mm away.
Use a bone folder to fold pages, teflon bone folders don't leave marks on the pages.
Use an awl to create the holes in your book ready for the thread to stitch them. Starting in the centre and then the outside.
To cut line your book ip with a line on the cutting matt and using a ruler and stanley knife slowly cut the access pages.
I tried to cut my pages into curves but it was quite a tricky process so I cut it back to normal.



Perfect Bind




<add final images>

Notes:

Trim the spine to make it even this is an important step
Take a bench press and put the pages in there
Using grey board put it at either sides
Works best with thicker paper make sure the bench press is tight so the paper doesn't warp
Sand it to roughen the edges and apply PVA glue with your finger, then add a gauze and do the same process again.
Leave to dry and remove from the press.
Attach a cover using PVA glue again and leave to set.

Concertina








Bukran / Bukcloth Finishes For Covers







<add final image>

Notes: 

7 Sheets folded in half the only binding method you can't trim after.
Then put crosses at the edges so that you don't glue the insides together
Couple of mm maximum for the grey board for the book cover.
Draw around with a white pencil to mark where to cut.


Evaluation of process

This induction has allowed me to see multiple methods of book binding and how to do them which is beneficial for my practice. It also allowed me to consider what I want to use for my book, which is a pamphlet stitch. I chose this method because I felt confident in executing it and also because I think it's suitable for the purpose of my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment