Thursday 14 November 2013

RESPONSIVE TASK: 2

After some consideration on the first brief I had chosen I decided to change my brief as I felt it didn't compliment my skills as a designer. I initially selected the D & AD's XL recordings brief and changed it to the YCN Oasis brief as I think this is something more suited to my abilities. I decided to re-answer the questions that were proposed in task 1.


Why have I chosen this brief?

I have chosen this brief due to the fact that it is based around creative writing and typography which are two things I am very interested in. I also chose this brief due to it being

What do I want to get out of it?

I would like to develop my typography skills even further as this is something I enjoy and also to have my work featured in a high street store across the UK.

What do I want to do / make / produce in response to the brief?

I want to create a series of typographic sayings that would be transferred in store and onto the digital website. I would also like to create a series of digital and physical mock ups of these designs to be presented in front of the judges.

What do I need to do in response to the brief?

In response to this brief I need to at the very minimum come up with 9 creative ways of portraying the messages given within the brief. However I would like to show the judges how these messages can look physically.

What is the problem?

The company wants to promote offers and deals in store that they provide to their customers in a girly and inviting tone of voice. They have a list of messages they want you to communicate creatively when in reality they are not very creative to begin with.

What is the brief asking you to do about it?

To create a set of creative messages that speaks to a audience, where people can relate to and feel comfortable within the store surroundings.

What is the brief trying to achieve?

To create a strong bond with it's loyal customers and speak to them on a level.

Who will benefit?


The company and the customers in store.

What is the message?

There are a multitude of messages displayed in the brief however the tone if voice is girly, friendly and fashionable.

Who is the audience?
According to the brief "The Oasis customer is girly and fun with a passion for fashion and style." I would target these women from 18- 30.

How will the message be delivered?

Through creative words / sayings and decorated by typography.

Can you foresee any problems with the brief?

I think the problems I can see with this brief is being able to have my idea but still maintain the Oasis brand's style and ethos without it looking copied. I think there needs to be a fine balance between the style of Oasis and something I can contribute as a designer to developing the brief and it standing out.
For this task I had to consider my brief and come up with a multitude of design ideas, sketches and research to bring in for the next session which is presented in further posts. I was also asked to create 5 reasons why my design would win compared to other competitors.

5 Reasons


It's innovative in it's approach with experimenting with different typefaces, colours and textures.


I have met the briefs requirements in what the mandatories require and have thought beyond this.


The tone of voice fits in with the shops ethos.


I have thought about the context in which these designs will be displayed.


My design will win because I am confident within myself as a designer. (or so I keep telling myself).



No comments:

Post a Comment