Tuesday 22 October 2013

WEB TASK 1: GETTING STARTED

For our first web session we were assigned a task to complete the list below to help guide us into a direction of what we want to create for our website  and how to do it effectively. I was in a group with Sam and Tristan and we completed the questions below and presented to one an other giving critical and informative feedback.

PART 1
Your design for web brief is asking you to design a website using existing material/ content. Within this session you are being asked to identify the following:

What is your subject matter? - Fashion, Magazine covers, Design,Photography and Composition.

What are you trying to communicate? - Magazine covers over time, development of technology, 21st century design.

Who will be or could be your audience / end user? - People interested in fashion, sophisticated, sleek. Or underground independant 18-28+ year olds.

What will be most effective form of content? - Type and image to synthesise with topic

What is it's purpose? - To inform and inspire users

What sector is it? - Fashion

Feedback:
  • Maybe refine what you are trying to communicate
  • Target something more specific
  • Online fanzine or Leeds fashion
  • What do you like about these magazines: photo's, type, composition, line spacing, typeface, size, print that looks digital or digital that looks like print
  • If it breaks it's natural form - define it
  • Whats trends are out there and why?
  • What audience does it speak to?
  • Designers, demographics, figures
  • Multilingual?
  • Website based on the concepts of the designer?
  • What do you like about their work?
  • Who/ What created it and how?
  • Who is the audience and where?

From my feedback I realised that I had a lot of idea's flowing around and I had no definitive answer to the questions. In order for my website to be engaging and clear, I had to make my subject choice more precise, which lead me to brainstorming my idea's.

I started to brainstorm all things associated with my topic (fashion magazine covers), to get my idea's on page. I had come up with loads of words, idea's and themes that were beneficial for me to get down to see what I wanted to specifically target.




I then focused this brain storm down further with the various things I wanted to communicate to my audience and how I could do it affectively.



Which then lead me on to focus and shape some more refined concepts for my potential website.



Because my summer brief project looked at a wide variation of magazine covers, I decided to focus on two magazines that were my favourite because of their unorthodox aesthetics. Both magazines were international and was something new and fresh for me to learn even more about. This was a main reason I looked at them and also because in my presentation a lot of the students hadn't come across them before and thought they were really interesting.


BON




BLEND/



From brainstorming I then chose to look at blend magazine to focus on as my source of inspiration for the website. 




I chose this magazine because I thought the design features of the magazine e.g the divided composition of and the juxtaposition between the images and the negative space would look good aesthetically for my website. I then asked myself the questions again to clarify my decisions.


What is your subject matter? - Looking at Blend Fashion magazine and the design aspects of it e.g Design, Photography and Composition.

What are you trying to communicate? - Information about the magazine which acts as a source of inspiration for designers interested in editorial design

Who will be or could be your audience / end user? - Design students interested in fashion editorial design and the contemporary design aspects.

What will be most effective form of content? - Type and image to synthesise with topic

What is it's purpose? - To inform and inspire users

What sector is it? - Fashion



PART 2
Begin to gather ideas how you can articulate your ideas into a workable informal breif, basically your telling us what you aim to design, why, when for and how. This brief will be there to contextualise your intended motivation/ design response / focus project.

For my website I intend to create a website dedicated to Blend magazine that focuses on the design aspects it uses. I am going to have pages that explore who is involved and responsible for the design of the magazine and what has inspired them. I also intend to have an archive / gallery of the work so users can look and interact with the issues and possible pdf formats for them to download and look at. The magazine is targeted at design students as the magazine focuses not only on fashion, but a varied of creative based practices.

What is already out there and how can you adapt, modify, reuse or respond to it?

I looked at a variation of contemporary magazine based websites and listed some features that were common within these pages, that I could possibly adapt or reuse in my web page.







  • Subscription Links
  • Twitter
  • Instagram & Tumblr - Visual Journal
  • Facebook
  • Archives of covers
  • Features: News, Shows, Events
  • Street Style
  • Fashion Blogs / Categories
  • PDF, Online readable versions
  • Trending / Popular styles
I found this exercises beneficial in me finding out what direction I want to go in for the design and content of my website. The feedback I received from my peers allowed me to find a focus on what I wanted to achieve and look at. I also found it very useful just asking myself questions and brainstorming to find out what I wanted to communicate to my audience. This task has allowed me to push my concepts further and come up with a more clear idea than what I had previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment