Thursday 24 October 2013

WEB TASK 2: GETTING STARTED

PART 1
List the information (content - initial research from previous session) you think you should be incorporated on the website you wish to design - This will not be your final design, although it will highlight similarities and gaps of knowledge. List pages and the content within those pages.  Keep it to 5 main pages.




From the part 2 session from the first web task, I looked at the magazine websites and listed some common traits that were on these pages and how the would benefit my pages and why to include them.

Home: Indicative of content, allows the users to explore and select what they want from the website.

About: Relevant factual details, manifesto's, statements about the magazine/website and what there intentions are.

Index: Covers topics and issues that arise in the magazine as a digital format, allows users to interact and comment.

Archive/Gallery: Clear way to display the magazine covers, subcategories if there is a lot of data.

Social: Frequent updates about the magazine, allows users to have more than on platform to interact with the content.

Next:
Draw out your website’s homepage, based on the lists above. 


From my sketch I highlighted and explained the navigation of the pages and how my potential user would interact with these.



In the time left over I then started to develop how one of my webpages would look and how the end-user could potentially interact with this.

Next:


Pin the list and the design up on the wall.  Your group will be split in half.  You will then pair up with a peer.  Using post-its, give feedback on the design and the content presented on the lists and sites on the wall.  



 What was noticed most? 
From my feedback a common issue, was that they didn't know what my website was about or what it offered. This was something I agreed with because I wasn't completely sure on what I wanted my website to be about at this stage. Also my navigation flow was something people questioned in regards to weather it will be easy to interact with or achieve. This then made me what to reconsider these issue's arise in my studio development time and see how I can push my idea further.
PART 2
Discuss on how to best represent the information, why/why not to do certain things etc.

In lesson we looked at what we didn't like in websites. One issue that was discussed was landing pages on a website. Initially this is something I wanted to include on my webpage as a introduction to my user. However these pages for mobile users can take ages to load and also use a lot of mega data which is going to put them off going on that web page again. It was interesting to consider these small things! The accessibility of your website is really important on different platforms and most of all how they affect the end user.
Overall question for you to focus on - It is a user experience and how will you heighten, clarify and develop that experience?
Designing a website has to be for the users expectations, the users happiness is compromised by the under or over use of categories so it's important to make sure certain elements of a webpage are completely relevant. A good test of a website is it going to work for the average person, it's important not to over complicate it and that it's accessible to your target audience and even a wider one. In order for a website to highten a user exper


  • Reading recommends: Don't make me think.


No comments:

Post a Comment