Wednesday 13 November 2013

DESIGN FOR PRINT: BRANDING ACCESSORIES

For my branding accessories for my design for print project I chose to incorporate a canvas bag and an apron.

Tote Bag


I created a few small sketches of how the bag could look, to generate some design ideas.






From the sketches I decided to experiment with screen printing with multiple inks and laser cut. I ordered 3 bags and 1 apron from Amazon in white to create a consistency throughout the design.

Laser Cut















The final outcome of the bag came out really well, I wasn't sure how it would look but I think once the books are inside and they come through the laser cut holes it will create a really interesting pattern. The only concern I have is the durability of the bag and if it rips, it wouldn't be functional.


Screen Printing


Using a fabric screen, I carried out the same process I had done in my previous experiments while preparing my screen. 




I then got some medium from the shop and began to mix my inks in preparation for my printed design. 





Considering stock choices and having consistency throughout my work, I wanted to know weather you could mix panetone inks. I spoke to Andy in the print room for primary research and he explained the possible outcomes.

Andy: use a scrap of cotton and test it with your finger and applying binder to get a specific colour. Also wait till the print is dry to ensure that it's the colour you want. 




I did this process whilst mixing my inks to ensure I got the right colour.

Print Yellow 2G

Bright Yellow 3R

Red GRL + Scarlet Red TRL



I then pinned down my bag away from the fabric so that the bag wouldn't move. I then applied the ink in alternative places to create a alternative pattern. 









After this I left the ink to dry for a few minutes before putting it in the heat press twice for 60s with a 160 degree heat. 






This process is done to ensure the ink sets in the bag and is durable after a wash.







I was really pleased with this outcome, however I felt that the design was a bit plain and though I could experiment a big more considering I had an extra bag.

I then decided to incorporate the square from my layout onto the bag to see the outcome. I recleaned my screen, exposed my new design and did the same process again.









I really liked the outcome of this bag and decided to keep this as my final outcome because it was more bright than the previous bag and when asking other class mates what they thought, they felt it was easier to read.


Apron

After deciding on my final design for my bag I then decided to apply it to my apron. I ono ordered one apron because they were quite expensive so I had to be really careful when applying this final design.








I followed the same steps that I did with tote bags and applied the ink in a similar way so that the colours would match.







Although I put registration marks on the the aprons unfortunanelty I didn't do them right, so the alignment of the logo was slightly off. 



Due to the alignment being off and considering the time I had left on the project I decided to leave the design as it was until I came back after the holidays and if I had time to re-do the process again I would. Apart from a few minor mistakes on experimentation with these bags and aprons I did enjoy this process and experimenting with what I could do with inks and lasers.


During the christmas break, uni was open again for a few extra days, In that time I thought I could re-try my apron printing and went through the same steps to screen print it.














The second time round the apron came out successfully which I was really pleased about. I learnt from my prior mistakes before and was able to overcome them. Although a long process I am happy I went back tried to make the apron again as it looks how I imagined.


All together these processes cost me around £3 as the majority of the materials were free. On the other hand the bags and aprons ranged from £1- £5 which is something I have to consider if this pack was being mass produced and sent out as a fresher pack item or an induction item.

No comments:

Post a Comment