Monday 11 November 2013

DESIGN FOR PRINT: IDEA DEVELOPMENT

From organising my content I now need to consider the layout of my books and how each page will look aesthetically.

Books

For the layout of my 3 books I wanted there to be consistency throughout them. From my initial ideas up until now I wanted the books to all be A5 and colour coded starting at red and finishing at yellow. From my inductions and experiments I also want the books to be pamphlet stitched.

Type


For my books I wanted to use legible fonts that would work across all platforms due to me experimenting on fabric and on different stock. From experimenting with multiple typefaces in my logo development. I decided to use Kenzo as my main font and then Helvetica for body copy.



Point sizes: 88pt / 11pt

Colour

I experimented with creating a few colour charts to see what colours worked well together. I experimented with block colours and gradients to see their outcomes.

After talking with Andrea who is a third year, for some advice she mentioned that I should look at Adobe Kuler picker. In doing this I found a lot of bright colours that worked well together. A lot of the colours used has red, orange and yellow within them so I created another colour panel and chose these colours as my final to work against.



Page Layouts




  <add images>

Stock

After multiple experiments, I found that what I wanted to use for stock was something coated. So far I haven't found any companies that stock coloured coated card. This is something I am going to have to look further into. 

Front Cover

From my initial logo/cover design I decided to try it on stock before making any final decisions. I printed the design out on some stock in the library and cut out the letters using a scapulae.







I was pretty pleased by the outcome and decided to keep this as my final design for my front covers. The inside out the book will have off-white stock so that letterforms will be filled by this colour.



No comments:

Post a Comment