Wednesday 13 November 2013

RESPONSIVE TASK: 1

For next weeks session I had to Identify a brief with substantial scope.

I decided to look at some D&AD briefs as they had just been released and chose to do 'The XL Recordings' brief.





Why have I chosen this brief?

I have a keen interest in music and it inspires most of my work. 


What do I want to get out of it?

I would like to improve my illustrative skills and work with my hands more as the majority of my work is digitally based.

What do I want to do / make / produce in response to the brief?


I want to create a torn and textured collage poster experimenting a testing out as many mediums before final production


What do I need to do in response to the brief?




An ‘illustration’ for one A1 poster. 

One ‘illustration’ for an online exhibition. The spec for this is open – it could be static or moving and the size, etc. is up to you.
Document and show your research and how you developed your idea 


What is the problem?


The company want to promote the success of the artists they represent. They also have a list of successes and want the 'designer' to design for the most significant one which is a matter of opinion. To celebrate the artist and highlight their seminal moment(s) in a way that engages and communicates to your audience. 


What is the brief asking you to do about it?


To create a illustrative poster that speaks to a audience, where people can relate or reminisce on these celebrities influential moments in music.

What is the brief trying to achieve?


More exposure


Who will benefit?


The celebrities will gain exposure, the record company and also the target audience can interact with the designs.


What is the message?


To celebrate the XL recordings success as an independent british label


Who is the audience?


'Music Lovers'


How will the message be delivered?


Through an ‘illustration’ for one A1 poster.  One ‘illustration’ for an online

exhibition. The spec for this is open – it could be static or moving and the size, etc. is up to you.

Can you foresee any problems with the brief?


It's going to be challenging for me to do a brief which is illustrative driven, as thats not my strongest side in design. However the breif states that "Consider the broad context in which illustration operates in the 21st Century. Illustrators now have far greater flexibility to utilize all manner of skills and approaches – from hand rendered typography to 3D model making, from hand torn collage to highly rendered CGI, from the single static image to the animated narrative." I feel confident it trying other methods such as hand collage because this is something I like to create in my own 


The brief is unclear on who the audience is, and to cater to the audience is very difficult with the approach I choose to take on the design. Different music genres depict different audiences. Is it trying to find a new audience or trying to speak to an already excising one?

No comments:

Post a Comment